State of Franklin Track Club
July 23, 2009
Voting Board Members present: Earl Brown, Jason Goodman, Mary Rodriguez, Michael Pope, and Phil Horner.
Non-Voting Board Members/Position Holders present: Donna Bays, Bob Townsend, and Bobby Baker
Members and Guests Present: Ruth Ketron, Molly Allen, Gracie Allen, Mark Skelton and Lisa Mullins
Approval of Minutes: Earl Brown stated that the final draft minutes of the June meeting had been sent to each member of the Board and asked if there were any additions or corrections. There being none, the minutes of the meeting were, upon motion duly made and seconded, approved as presented.
Treasurer’s Report – Mary Rodriguez
Total Income since last report: $ 827.84
Total Expenses since last report: $ 1,085.82
Total Assets as of 7/23/2009: $17,730.15
Mary requested a banking resolution/certification that will allow her signatory access to the Club’s banking accounts. Donna Bays will prepare such documentation for Board approval.
SFTC has received thank you notes for receipt of grant funds from Girls On The Run and Ross N. Robinson’s Cross Country Track Coach.
Racewalk Championship: Race Director, Bobby Baker, attended the meeting to request finish line assistance. Rob Schoborg has served as liaison for several years but is not going to be able to for 2009. After some discussion it was suggested for the Race Director to contact David Fox or Oscar Wagner for possible assistance. If neither of those individuals are able to provide assistance, Bob Townsend will send a volunteer blast.
Racewalk Representative: Bobby Baker gave notice to the Board that he will not be able to continue as the SFTC Racewalk Representative. After considerable discussion, the following action was taken by the Board:
Motion: Earl Brown – Ruth Ketron is appointed to serve as the Racewalk Representative until the next scheduled Officer and Director elections.
Second: Michael Pope
Split Times – Earl reminded Board members to write and submit their articles/running stories to Matthew Studholme for publishing on the SFTC website. It was also mentioned that the website should be updated to indicate that a volunteer point will be given for every article submitted to the website.
1. Rhododendron 10k – Good race as always, nice weather.
2. Bristol Challenge 6k – Good and fun race.
3. Summer Track Meets – The last meet had to be cancelled but the others were very successful.
4. Firecracker 4 Miler – 287 registered and 270 finished the race which was a record crowd. Chris Wright set a new course record with 21:27.
5. Crazy 8’s – Another race with record number of participants, 1742. Top local runner was J Penny with the time of 25:56, 15th overall.
6. Wolf Run – A total of 182 finishers with runners from 13 different states. Male and female course records were set; Michael Smelser at 43:55 and Elizabeth Smith at 51:27. If participation continues to increase, parking may become an issue in future years.
1. Phipps Bend – more preregistrations have been received than previous year’s total participation.
2. Railroad Days – Set for August 1st
3. Duck Island Summer Mile – Set for August 4th
4. School House 5k – Set for August 8th
5. Greene County YMCA 5k– Set for August 22nd.
Race Inquiries: A few inquiries have been received but none of them meet the 4-month rule. After a brief discussion it was agreed that Area Reps should continue to stress the 4-month rule but invite Race Directors to come to a meeting to present their race.
Previous Race Inquires:
1. Abingdon Main Street 5k (Mary Rodriguez) – Race is scheduled for August 1st. The Race Director has asked about cost of bibs. SFTC’s cost is 20 cents per bib.
2. Cancer Outreach Foundation 5k Hope Run (Donna Bays) – Scheduled for August 29th on the Creeper Trail. Finish line will be using a card system.
3. Jonesborough Parks and Recreation 5k (Michael Pope) – Scheduled for August 29th.
4. Kingsport Night Races sponsored by Low Vision (Phil Horner) – No contact with the Race Director and the events have not been posted to the calendar. Doubtful the races will happen.
Equipment – Donna Bays shared a report regarding the status of equipment rentals year-to-date. After some discussion it was agreed that a similar report will be prepared for each Board meeting. It was also agreed that Donna, or the Race Liaisons, should resend invoices to the Race Directors of the few races that have not paid their rental/service fees. It was noted that with the recent change in the SFTC race management process that these Race Directors may have never received an initial invoice.
As requested during the June meeting, Donna next presented a list of race timers, as well as their prices and specifications, which are compatible with RunScore software. After some discussion, it was agreed to defer any decision regarding the purchase of new timers until the problem with the current timers is resolved.
Race Insurance – The current race registration form available to Race Directors on the SFTC website states: “DUE TO INSURANCE REGULATIONS, STROLLERS AND HEADPHONES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE RACE COURSE”. One of our members recently pointed out that RRCA insurance does not prohibit strollers and headphones; rather they strongly recommend these items not be used. After considerable discussion, the Board agreed the form should be changed to accurately reflect both insurance and SFTC requirements and expectations. Mark Skelton agreed to draft changes for discussion at the August meeting.
1. Bob Townsend asked if SFTC wanted a booth at the Eastman 10k expo. Everyone agreed that the Club should have a presence at the expo. Bob will circulate list of times for volunteers.
2. SFTC has been asked if local schools may post their cross-country meets on the SFTC Event Calendar. Everyone agreed that is acceptable.
3. The need to have a back-up for the Webmaster has recently become apparent. Earl Brown agreed to serve as Matthew’s backup for posting race results.
4. It was noted that advertisers/sales representatives have recently been posting to the SFTC forum. It was requested for Matthew Studholme to install a block or filter to prevent such postings in the future.
5. Amy Combs, Race Director for the Chasing Snakes 10k, has requested that Chasing Snakes be considered a King & Queen race in 2010. After some discussion, the Board took the following action:
Motion: Mary Rodriguez – Chasing Snakes 10k will be listed as a King & Queen race on the 2010 race calendar.
Second: Earl Brown
6. Daniel Gilbert, staff writer for the Bristol Herald Courier contacted Earl Brown with the question of whether the economy has impacted road racing in the region. Earl asked the Board their thoughts. Mark Skelton recently read an article regarding the same topic and the conclusion was that participation was higher than in previous years. Mark will forward the article to Earl for forwarding to Mr. Gilbert.
There being no time to conduct further business, all remaining agenda items were tabled until the next scheduled meeting. The meeting was adjourned.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, August 20th.