State of Franklin Track Club
March 18, 2010
Board Members present: Jason Goodman, Mary Rodriguez, Bob Townsend, Michael Pope, Phil Horner, Ruth Ketron and Donna Bays
Members present: Harriett Locke, Terry Barnett, and Barbara Taylor
Guests present: Grover Taylor
Approval of Minutes: Jason Goodman stated that the final draft minutes of the February meeting had been sent to each member of the Board. However, without a quorum present at the beginning of the meeting the minutes could not be approved. The minutes will be presented for approval again at the April meeting.
Treasurer’s Report – Mary Rodriguez
Total Income since last report: $2,423.68
Total Expenses since last report: $1,448.99
Total Assets as of 03/18/2010: $18,755.49
Race and Event Updates:
• War Party: The rescheduled date of February 20th was sunny and 45°. The race made a profit of $613.31 and had 168 10k participants and 17 5k participants.
• Tennessee Parks Tour: 12 SFTC members qualified for the Parks Tour in 2009 and several won awards. The 2010 race calendar will be published soon.
• Surgoinsville 10-Miler: February 27, 2010, a bit windy but overall a great day. 101 finishers with both men’s and women’s course records set.
• St. Anne’s 5k: Great race with excellent growth, nearly doubled the number of participants from last year.
• Chasing Snakes 10k: Great race with lots of growth potential. 333 finishers for the 10k run and 120 finishers for the 4k walk.
Upcoming Races and Events:
• YMCA Bunny Hop 5k: Scheduled for March 20th in Greeneville, TN. 91 preregistrations have been received. Bob Townsend is serving as Race Director.
• Take Back the Night 5k: Scheduled for Saturday, March 27th in Johnson City.
• Highlands Spring Chase 15k: Scheduled for Saturday, March 27th in Abingdon on the Creeper Trail.
• Run for TC 5 Miler and 1 Mile Fun Run: Scheduled for Saturday, March 27th at Bays Mountain.
• Virginia Creeper Marathon: Scheduled for Sunday, March 28th in Abingdon on the Creeper Trail.
• Justin Foundation 5k: The race is scheduled for May 8th. The Race Director has requested SFTC to manage/assist with the finish line. After a brief discussion it was determined that no one was able to serve as the liaison.
Long Distance Series: As discussed in the February meeting, the Board had questions regarding the possibility of adding either one or both of the two new half-marathons to the Long Distance Series list of races. Jason Goodman was able to confirm that the BAE Half Marathon as well as the Haunted Half Marathon and the Johnson City Half Marathon will all take place in 2010. After some discussion a motion was duly made and seconded to add the Haunted Half Marathon to the Long Distance Series list of races.
· Outstanding equipment rental and race management invoices: Donna Bays reported that SFTC had not received payment from the following 2009 races: Clinch River 5k, Blue Plum 5k, Apple Fest 4 Miler, and the Jonesborough Parks and Recreation 5k. Donna will forward contact information to Jason Goodman and Jason will contact the Race Directors.
· SFTC Brochure and Split Times: Donna Bays reported that latest edition of Split Times is coming along just fine and should be ready to forward to the printer in late March/early April. The SFTC Brochure will be printed at the same time.
· SFTC Summer Track Meets: Phil Horner reported that Fleet Feet will sponsor the Summer Track Meets by providing sports drinks and awards. Phil will also take on the role as race director. David and Brenda Fox have agreed to help this year with the transition. Phil would like to keep the family atmosphere of the meets. He is considering adding a fifth “championship” meet to the schedule.
· Scholarships: Mary Rodriguez submitted a revised draft of administrative guidelines and procedures regarding the establishment of an annual SFTC scholarship. The Board agreed the forms were in order and that efforts should be made to publicize the scholarships but listing it on the website, in the upcoming edition of Split Times and sending out an email blast.
● Race Entry Form: This matter was tabled until the April meeting.
There being no further matters for discussion, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Board will be at 6:30 p.m. on April 15, 2010 at the Eastman Employee Center in Kingsport.