SFTC Volunteer Points: Rules & Rewards
2015 points table |
2016 points table |
2017 points table |
2018 points table
Questions? Email the Bob Townsend, the SFTC Volunteer Coordinator
Why does the club have a Volunteer Points System?
The SFTC Volunteer Points System was designed to recognize and encourage volunteerism within the club.
What Volunteer Service Qualifies?
To be considered in the SFTC volunteer recognition program, volunteer service must be performed at:
- SFTC-owned events*
- Events where SFTC has been hired
- King & Queen races
- Kids Festival of Miles races
* SFTC-owned events includes races, social events, and board meetings. In addition, annual points are awarded to named SFTC posts such as board members, course measurer, etc. The full list of named SFTC posts can be found on the SFTC Board page. See the SFTC calendar and use the "SFTC owned/hired" or King/Queen filters to see which events qualify for SFTC Volunteer Points.
Who is Eligible?
Only SFTC members can receive volunteer points. A volunteer must be a SFTC member on the day of the event in order to qualify for volunteer points. All members are automatically included in the volunteer points program.
How is Volunteer Service Reported?
Race directors or liaisons at qualifying events should report volunteer service to the SFTC Volunteer Coordinator after the event is over.
What activity can I choose to do as a race volunteer?
- Transport race equipment to the race site
- Set up & take down finish line equipment
- Register runners on race day and hand out race packets
- Help with post-race drinks and snacks>
- Hand out water at an aid station on the course during the race
- Be a course marshall or call out times at mile splits
- Assist with finish line timing & results tabulation
- Take lots of photos of the race and submit for website publication
Volunteer Point Values:
|Volunteer Activity||Points Awarded|
|Race Volunteer||1 pt|
|Race Volunteer, 10 mi race or longer||2 pts|
|Attending board meeting, (any member)||1 pt|
|Runscore pre-registration data entry, SFTC-owned or hired race||3 pts|
|Social Event Coordinator||5 pts|
|Race Liaison||3 pts|
|Race Director,SFTC-hired||5 pts|
|Race Director,SFTC-owned||10 pts|
|Published Split Times or Website Article||1 pt|
|Past President||5 pts|
|District Rep||5 pts|
|Racewalk Rep||5 pts|
|Competition Coordinator, (excluding K&Q)||5 pts|
|K&Q Competition Coordinator||15 pts|
|Course Measurer||15 pts|
|Membership Chair||15 pts|
|Volunteer Coordinator||15 pts|
|Equipment Manager||20 pts|
What can Volunteer Points be Used for?
Volunteer points can be "cashed in" for the following SFTC rewards:
- 5pts = free SFTC t-shirt (if available)
- SFTC membership
- race entry to an SFTC-owned race (New Year's Wake Up Run, War Party 10K, Virginia Creeper Marathon, Run The Tunnel, Pioneer 5 mi)
- In addition, Volunteer Points can be redeemed like cash (1pt = $1) towards any SFTC purchase including equipment rental, race management, merchandise, etc. Points earned in a given year can be carried over to the following year, but will be forfeited if not spent by the end of that 2nd year.
To redeem your points for SFTC rewards, just tell the SFTC representative that you want to use your Volunteer Points for payment.
If you have questions about using your volunteer points please contact the SFTC Volunteer Coordinator
Each December SFTC will recognize the top volunteers based upon volunteer points for that year. All points including redeemed points will be included.
Gift certificates will be provided to the top 3 volunteers for the year:
$150 - first place - "SFTC Volunteer of the Year"
$100 - second place
$50 - third place
After the top 3 awards are presented, 3 drawings will be held from the remaining volunteer pool for $50 gift certificates. The top 3 volunteers are not eligible for this drawing. You must be present at the awards banquet to win this drawing. Weighted drawings will be based on volunteer points. That is, a person with 10 volunteer points has 10 times the chance of being drawn as a person with only 1 volunteer point.